We collect a variety of information from visitors to our website, some of which can be confidential. This document explains the types of information we collect and what we do with that information (among other things).
What kind of information do we collect?
Visitors to XY Adviser’s website choose to interact with XY Adviser in ways that require XY Adviser to gather personal information. The amount and type of information that XY Adviser gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- when you visit and interact with our website and related software (including any mobile applications);
- when visitors sign up for an account;
- when you engage in transactions, or posts and comments;
- when you sign up as a member ;
- through cookies and other technologies that allow us to give you a better experience on our website; and
- when you contact us independently of the website, such as by email, phone or in person.
In each case, XY Adviser collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfil the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with XY Adviser. XY Adviser does not disclose personal information other than as described below. Visitors can always refuse to supply personal information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities and we may not be able to provide our services or assistance to you or on your behalf.
Where relevant you consent to XY Adviser posting and using any photographs and/or personal information you might upload both on its website, its social media sites (including Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook) and in any other content or copy we may use for the purpose of our functions and/or activities.
Regardless of whether you join XY Adviser, we will collect general information that is not personal to you. This type of information generally relates to your behaviour on the site, and includes things like the type of browser you are using, your geographic location, and how you came to the site. It also includes information that will help us trouble-shoot problems, analyse our resources and improve our services. There is nothing in that kind of information that could enable anyone to identify who you are.
XY Adviser only collects personal information that is necessary to assist us in providing our services on our website. XY Adviser generally collects personal information such as name, phone numbers, address, email address, age and gender.
In certain circumstances we may be required or permitted by law, court or tribunal order to collect certain personal information about you.
You do not have to provide us with your personal information but if you do not provide us with the personal information that we need, we may not be able to provide our services or assistance to you or on your behalf.
If we receive personal information that we have not requested (unsolicited personal information) we will delete or destroy it as soon as practicable but only if it is lawful and reasonable to do so, or ensure that the information is de-identified.
How do we use your personal information?
We collect your personal information in order that you may receive the benefit of our website and services.
- establish, maintain and administer your account;
- send you service or promotional communications, including surveys and information about security updates;
- create or distribute advertising or marketing material that is relevant to you;
- conduct verifications of profiles, checking credentials, monitoring and reporting as reported under the XY Adviser Terms of Service or under any applicable laws;
- quality assurance and training purposes;
- to aggregate with other users or members for the purposes of industry reports or information services.
This personal information will be depersonalised so as not to identify you as an individual.
to provide stories, commentary or share photos or other personal information you have uploaded on our website onto other social media channels associated with XY Adviser (including LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook); and any other uses identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
When might we disclose your personal information?
Any personal information provided to us may also be disclosed, if appropriate, to other entities in order to facilitate the purpose for which the information was collected. Such entities generally include:
- third party ‘partners’ or affiliates with whom XY Adviser has a commercial relationship in order to provide you with the benefit of our services or to make available products or opportunities arising in respect of registering on our Site; or
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide a service such (but not limited to) payroll, superannuation administration, IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors;
- any related entity of XY Adviser;
- any applicable or relevant regulator or third party for the purpose of legislative or contractual compliance and/or reporting; or
- other entities if you have given your express consent.
By registering for an XY Adviser event or downloading content from one of the XY Adviser partners, attendees or the content recipient give express consent for XY Adviser to share the attendees’ registration and/or content recipient details with event and/or content partners. Content may include, podcasts, white papers, videos, courses or any other consumable content.
If you conduct any transaction that requires a payment by you, some of your details may be provided to a third party payment processor to allow the transaction to be completed.
Does XY Adviser use personal information for direct marketing?
From time to time we may use the personal information we collect from you to identify particular XY Adviser services that we believe may be of interest to you. We may then contact you to let you know about these services and how they may benefit you. We will generally only do this with your prior consent (where practical) and we will always give you a choice to opt out of receiving such information in future.
Direct Marketing from XY Adviser generally takes the form of an Electronic marketing email.
Electronic marketing – Where we use your personal information to send you marketing information by email, SMS, MMS or other electronic means we may do so with your express or implied consent. You may give us your express consent by, for example, ticking a box on an electronic or signing in paper form where we seek your permission to send you electronic or other marketing information. Consent may be implied from our existing business relationship or where you have a reasonable expectation of receiving an electronic marketing communication. You may instruct us at any time to remove any previous consent you provided to receive marketing communications from us.
Links to third party websites
Accessing your personal information held by XY Adviser
You may access personal information we otherwise hold about you. Access to your personal information may be denied on certain grounds including, for example: it is unlawful; it may have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or your request is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny you access we will provide our reason for doing so at the time of your request.
If you wish to access the personal information we hold about you or request correction of it, you should contact the Privacy Officer on the details below who will respond to your request within a reasonable period after the request is made.
While we do not charge you for a request for accessing your personal information you should be aware that we may charge a reasonable fee (which will be notified to you once you make a request) for time and cost in the following circumstances:
- if an extended amount of time is required to collate and prepare material for you; and
- if you wish to have your files photocopied for you.
How can you correct and update your information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal information. You may review, edit, correct or delete any personal information you submit to us at any time.
Please contact us email@example.com or on the relevant section of the website as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date so that we can update your file accordingly.
Dealing with us anonymously or by pseudonym
In order for us to successfully do business with you it will not, in most circumstances, be practical for us to deal with you without you providing relevant personal information to us. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, you may deal with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym.
Storage and security
We will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, and you will be able to access your personal information held on the website at any time (subject to service outages) to keep it updated.
Although we aim to create a safe, secure environment by trying to limit access to the site to legitimate users, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised parties will not gain access. We will not have any liability arising from any unauthorised access to your personal information.
You will need to provide us with sufficient details regarding your complaint together with any supporting evidence.
The Privacy Officer will investigate the issue and determine the steps (if any) that we will undertake to resolve your complaint. We will contact you if we require any additional information from you and will notify you in writing of the outcome of the investigation.
If you are not satisfied with our determination, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or complain to the Australian Privacy Commissioner via www.oaic.gov.au.
Please contact us via the contact details provided below if you want to:
- obtain further information about the way we manage your personal information;
- access your personal information held by us;
- raise a concern or make a complaint regarding how we collect or handle your personal information;
- correct or update your personal information held by us; or
- unsubscribe from any XY Adviser mailing list or have any questions or complaints regarding unsolicited electronic communications that you may have received or are concerned about.
Please contact us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account by anyone else or any other breach of security.
XY Adviser Pty Ltd
ACN: 606 168 781
Need more information on privacy?
For more general information regarding privacy in Australia, visit the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).